Monday 4 February 2013

Daddy's Famous Canadian Pancakes


I have said this many many times before.... hands down best pancakes EVER. People often throw this phrase around, but they must be lying because these bad boys are genuine. You will not find any Aunt Jemima pancake mix in this house. This is the real deal boys and girls, made my genuine Canadian father.

This is definitely not the first time my dad has heard this. My friends have learned that the only thing you need to do to get on my dad's good side and for him to like you is compliment him on his pancakes and you are officially his favourite guest. He is so easily pleased, and thrives on it. It got to the point when I was younger that my friends would consider staying the night at mine just so they could have pancakes in the morning. To this day, I believe this is still an incentive!!!


The tradition started when my brothers and I were very young and as a weekend treat, my dad would spoil us with either a full english fry-up or his pancakes. Obviously as we grew older we realised that frying an egg and some bacon isn't actually that hard, so that was eventually off the breakfast menu. However, our weekend pancake tradition has always stuck. Still to this day I will return home from uni and wake up to the smell of warm pancakes in the AGA. Best alarm clock ever.

Over the years we have tried and tested many different kinds of pancakes: blueberry pancakes, mini pancakes, banana pancakes (inspired by Jack Johnson), extra large pancakes, pancakes with more milk, pancakes with more flour etc. You think of it, my dad has tried it and used us as his guinea pigs in order to perfect his recipe. 

I have in fact never been up in time to watch him make them (apart from maybe when I was a lot younger in which case I don't remember) so I have asked him for his recipe and ingredients to share with all of you lucky readers. Especially as pancake day is nearing why don't you give this recipe a go?

Best way to devour your stack of pancakes: (my method which I have perfected over the years as well)
Big wedge of butter between each pancake so it melts and a sufficient amount of Canadian maple syrup glugged over the top. mmmmmm. Enjoy!


For 9 Pancakes (3 each):
1 cup of plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 heaping tablespoon of baking powder
1 egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Milk (enough to be equal in volume to the contents of the dry bowl)

1) Mix flour, salt and baking powder well in a big bowl
2) In a separate bowl beat the egg with oil.
3) Mix in milk (enough to be equal in volume to the contents of the dry bowl)
4) Gently add the contents of the wet bowl to the dry bowl. Do not beat too much
5) Let sit for 20 mins
6) Dollop onto frying pan (or if you have an AGA, grease up the right hob and dollop them straight on there!)






Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment