Saturday 2 March 2013

Josh Kumra at Louisiana

So I'm cheating a little bit here. This was not in fact a weekend treat but rather a mid-week Wednesday night treat followed by a whole weekend at home which was just perfect!

Adam and I had been looking forward to this for such a long time as we are massive fans of Josh Kumra after we saw him for the first time at Oceanfest in June last year. Ever since then we have all his songs on repeat and obviously know all the lyrics!


I wasn't aware that the venue that he was playing at- The Louisiana is in fact a musical hub and bands such as Kasabian, Kings of Leon as well as artists such as Amy Winehouse and Florence and the Machine have all played here in their time. It's a quaint little pub with a very small stage upstairs as well as a bar and is perfectly suited to such music as Josh's.


We were treated first to one of his hand picked supporting acts, George Ezra who was such a pleasant surprise. He has such an effortlessly strong and mature voice which is surprising from someone his age. Originally from Bristol and inspired by blues artists such as Woody Guthrie and eventually the likes of Bob Dylan, Ezra is definitely one to watch for the future.

Have a look at this youtube clip of his song Blame it on me which was for sure my favourite of all his songs he played on Wednesday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWj2Ws4ewuA


Josh's second supporting act Arlissa is another one to watch. Often compared to Florence Welch and Kate Bush for her willowy voice, this girl is set to become a star of 2013. You've probably already heard her single collaborated with Nas Hard to Love Somebody and already she's got her new single out Sticks and Stones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSg2lTpmlMI


Finally it was Josh's turn. Honestly one of my favourite artists at the moment, his music is just fantastic. Such a friendly and down to earth guy who writes the most heart-warming lyrics accompanied by beautiful guitar playing. From the beginning of his set Josh teases, a lot of people are only there to listen to the only song they know: his celebrated collaboration with Wretch 32 Don't go. However, I don't undersand how people haven't ventured further into his music history than just this one track.
I cannot say that there is one song of his which I dislike. I was especially pleased when he played his last song The Answer, which from the moment I first heard it last year has been most played song on my ipod, and is one which is always close to my heart. It is due to be his next single released.

Have a listen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4NHEaZtgaE



If you're keen to go and visit The Louisiana anytime soon I would highly recommend checking out Marika Hackman who I saw in Exeter, supporting Benjamin Francis Leftwich. I reckon she's the one to bring folk music back on the scene in 2013. Tickets are only £6 in advance.


Here's the link for more details

http://thelouisiana.net/2010/view/events/







Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment